View Single Post
Old
12-12-2012, 04:18 PM
pageaus tooth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Sorry, I don't believe for one second a lockout was going to be avoided regardless of when negotiations started. When one side only wants to take, no settlement can be reached until breaking points occur.

Link that substantiates your claim about Fehr?

Bettman professional? Well if rejecting proposals out of hand in 5 - 10 minutes, halting negotiations and stomping out, claims of concessions when none have been made, melting down on national TV, attempts to assassinate Fehr's character and divide the union are acts of professionalism, then I guess you're right.

Of the 750 players in the NHLPA, a handful have posted tweets or made comments to the media that were less than appropriate. However, I can understand player frustration when I hear the absolute BS flowing from Bettman and Daly.

So you believe if someone offered you 50% of the value for you house, then moved up to 60% its a good deal?

The initial offers from the NHL were laughable, the NHLPA's proposals were at least an attempt to address the fundamental problem with the economics. The players want to end this cycle of lockouts and realize the only way to achieve this is through a viable revenue sharing plan.

You are drinking the NHL koolaid, in gulps!!!!

Average salary is nothing more than a function of revenue, when one rises so does the other. The players have agreed to 50/50, what they want is the owners to honour the signed contracts.

The 'make whole' was the concept Bettman claimed would do this, but it is now obvious that was a fairy tale.

What does leverage have to do with favouring/supporting one side or another?

I respectfully suggest you do a little research yourself, the Maple Leafs alone make $100M profit.

Might not make sense to you, but when I consider all the factors I don't believe the NHL/owners are acting in good faith.

Since 02-03 as league revenue grew from $1.996B to $3.4B, the players' share +13.8%, the owners' share +238.6%. During that time the owners raised ticket prices by 39%, I suppose you blame the players for this as well.

The facts are clear, owners make the business decisions yet don't want accountability when the economics don't work. Their answer, turn to the fans, sponsors, taxpayers and players to pay the bill.

IMO its time one of these entities stood up to the NHL, and so the players have my full support.

Maybe you should take your own advice, base your points on fact, not anecdotal evidence and emotion.
I fully support the players as well and this basically sums it up for me. My opinion is that owners were handing out huge contracts like crying towels at a leafs game; they were going to implement a new CBA that would restructure everything back into there favour. This is pure speculation. The week prior to the lockout contracts that were longer than 5 years were being handed out even though the media was reporting that the ownership was wanting to limit term to 5 years. To me, the NHL haven't been bargaining in good faith or signing players to contracts in good faith. I am not a lawyer but i believe that is grounds for voiding a contract, if it can be proven.

pageaus tooth is offline   Reply With Quote