View Single Post
Old
12-12-2012, 05:11 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yes and no. It would be hard to come to any deal that wasn't fair for both sides (that's what this whole process is for). But you want the best deal possible. You can have an agreement that is fair that is not the best deal. You can also get the best deal possible and have it fair to both sides. This agreement is going to govern the entire league for years. You really can't leave anything on the table or it is gone until the next CBA comes up. Obviously you have to give up some things, but on both sides, you want the absolute best deal for yourself.
Bob Goodenow and Trevor Linden were raked over the coals for a deal that was perceived to be heavily in favour of the owners at the end of the last work stoppage. The deal turned out pretty well for the players in the end, much better than initially thought. Given the current situation, though, the last CBA obviously wasn't perfect.

The best deal possible is one that results in a CBA that doesn't lead to a work stoppage upon its expiration, not a deal that heavily favours either side.

Quote:
There's gonna be dissenting opinions, but Hamrlik's opinion (a guy who likeley has 1-2 years tops) is irrelevant. He wants to play now and I get that, but by signing a deal just to get it done would impact the rest of the league for years to come, not just this season. Not to mention the precedence it sets for future negotiations.
I'd say the opinion of a guy who has been through three work stoppages is far from irrelevant. You say he only has a couple seasons left, which you strangley believe invalidates his opinion, but what about all of the union members who will play less than a couple career seasons, period (probably more players than you believe)? Are their opinions worthless, as well? Or does this only apply if they don't agree with union leadership?

If all that mattered to Hamrlik was playing out his career, he'd sign a 'lengthy' contract in the KHL.

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 12-12-2012 at 05:57 PM.