Old
12-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
The average hockey player's career is about 100 or so games. So, it looks Neuvirth's comments were correct that everything is about the stars.
Not exactly. A 5 year contract limit combined with a lowered cap also affects non-stars. Without the long terms to reduce cap hits, there will be less space available for teams with expensive players to pay other guys.

On another note, I'm split on that short proposed limit (which probably won't be so short in the final deal). As a Flyers fan I go:

But as an NHL fan, it's going to stir things up a little bit and I'm kind of excited for that. The high quality "middle class" players might be less compelled to sign with teams who have high paid stars so they can get some more money elsewhere. Having those high paid stars could possibly make team building difficult for GMs, and probably would place a lot of emphasis on drafting and development. I can see it increasing parity overall.

Unless the current cap/floor structure remains unchanged and it all becomes moot in 5 years if the cap is back up to 70 million dollars.