View Single Post
Old
12-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
How was Campbell groomed for the GM position any more than Hervey was? Up to the point of hiring/promoting him, he was a career coach after his playing days and nothing more. He didn't help scout players, sign players, etc. Of course, hindsight now tells us he turned into an excellent GM as well. But there was absolutely no way to know he would be heavily qualified for that job. Tillman came here with all kinds of experience on his resume, and 3 Grey Cups to boot. Other than his personal shenanigans, it's doubtful you could have found a more qualified, seasoned and successful individual for the job, at face value. I remember you telling me privately he wouldn't last inside of a year because of his personal issues. Turns out he beat those demons, but forgot how to run a football team. How did he turn out for us? Not sure why all the love for Tillman this past while. When he was first signed, you were completely against it, (and I still have the pm's from you to prove it, but their specific content shall remain confidential) and now, he was treated unfairly and isn't such a bad guy. Fact is, I was on board when he got hired, but he had his chance and blew it. Proof is in the pudding, in record, trades as well as how he is now regarded by nearly everyone in this organization and the disdain he has even in other centres.
I didn't think Tillman would be able to get over his personal difficulties. I'm not a Tillman fan particularly. Your recollection is correct that I questioned whether he would be up to task. But he took over a 2-8 team and got that team turned around and then went 11-7 the following year so it looked like good progress. Funny thing is Tillman had a winning record here and two playoffs in 3 seasons. Much more than we'd seen in awhile. This season was a trainwreck due to injuries, ridiculously bad coaching, Ray trade, etc.

AS for the "proof" what Rhodes, Reed, or Hervey are saying has no bearing with me as they have vested interest in stating that. I don't take any of what they say as gospel.

I think if anything another view could be taken here is that Rhodes got hired on and possibly disliked Tillman from the start and Tillman wasn't his guy. I wonder as much if it was Tillman that was hamstrung by the org instead of the tune we're hearing. At least Tillman has had enough good grace not to badmouth them all like he's getting.

I don't respect, at all, how Reed , Rhodes, and Hervey have aired this laundry after the fact. Thats cowardice in action. If he was really the cause of all evil in the ego empire then where were these guys when they could've been confronting him or challenging status quo. Everybody laid down and let a whole season or more pass before doing anything about it. If Tillman was as bad as everybody is stating then everybody that sat idly by and let it all happen are culpable too. Certainly none of them showed leadership in duly dealing with the alleged situation in a timely manner.