View Single Post
Old
12-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Campbell's predecessor Norm Kimball had no CFL playing, coaching or even scouting experience when he took over a struggling Esks franchise in 1965. He had worked his way up through the ranks of minor football to an administrative job with the Eskimos. Maybe that's why his club wasn't fully out of the woods until 1972 (the first year of the 34 season playoff streak).

For better or worse Hervey has worked under GM's Maciocia and Tillman as a scout. While they weren't specifically grooming him for their job (Why would they?), he got to observe how they run a team. He has also maintained an excellent relationship with well-respected Eskimo player personnel head Paul Jones (who had the title of GM late in the Campbell era even though Hugh was still doing much of the job). Hervey has said in interviews that he has regular conversations with Hugh Campbell and Don Matthews (who brought him here as a player as part of a rebuild in 1999)- 2 pretty good resources for CFL knowledge. Finally it's not outrageous to assume that Ed's picked up a lot of useful contacts and allies in his 13 years in the CFL- especially since retiring as a player and travelling around North America as a scout.

The last thing that reassures me somewhat about Ed Hervey is his stated reasoning for not getting into coaching. He has said that he doesn't have the right temperment to succeed at that job. Hervey doesn't seem like the type to accept a job that he isn't suited for or one that he doesn't think he's ready to do. Again, there are no guarantees here but I am comfortable at the moment with this hiring despite that.
This I can agree with. The one thing that stands out is Hervey going ballistic one game and throwing his helmet which ended up hitting a ref. He got a huge penatly for that and afairc tossed. I believe we lost the game. So he's right about his temperament.

I had not seen Hervey comment on contacts with Hugh Campbell and Don Matthews. Good if he did do that.