View Single Post
Old
12-12-2012, 08:57 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
There were no freak injuries last year, it was a comparable amount of injuries to what we suffer every single year except for 2007-08. I'll note that we had no injuries to our number 1 goalie (Price), no injuries to our 1st defensive pairing (Subban+Gorges), no injuries to our two best wingers (Cole, Pacioretty), and no injuries to our best forward and center (Plekanec), or any of our centers actually.

The second factor is that the roster we ended the year with is weaker than the roster we started the year with. We lost Hal Gill, Andrei Kostitsyn, and Michael Cammalleri, and replaced them with Francis Bouillon, Rene Bourque and Brandon Prust. Unlike last year, we wouldn't benefit from a 12th place team in the first 30 or 40 games racking up a safety margin over 15th place. We'd go straight to that 15th place.

The third factor is that the division got stronger. Boston will be about the same, but Ottawa, Toronto, and Buffalo should all improve. Buffalo is adding Cody Hodgson and John Scott (no more Lucic running into Miller), Toronto is rumored to be adding Roberto Luongo, and Ottawa is a young, good team.

The 2012 draft will help this team, but not in the 2012-2013 season, and probably not in the 2013-2014 season.
Andrei Markov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
An 18 year old Galchenyuk would probably put up around a 0.5 PPG in a 40 game-ish season as he learns the league. I think that would be a realistic expectation.

That's not changing much to the team's fortunes. Maybe it gets you an extra win or two.

All the more reason why he shouldn't be here this season.
That's a giant leap based on a gigantic assumption. I wouldn't limit Galchenyuk to anything really. Why not wait and see? I think he is better than most of our forwards already. No question that helps us win imo.

Quote:
As for this division debate, I think it's irrelevant. Boston would win it going away anyway. And chances are we'll play those division rivals the same amount of times we'll play the other teams in the Conference, so comparing us to Buffalo or Ottawa isn't any different than looking at the 10 other teams in the Conference. And I can't see us overtaking either BUF or OTT unless major injuries hit those teams.
I don't see anything about BUF or OTT that scares me, frankly.

Quote:
I struggle to find 2 Eastern teams I'd be certain would finish after us, let alone 7. Especially with an average coach at best in place. The Islanders will likely add Strome and added Visnovsky. Toronto is most likely going to add a competent goalie because Burke's job is probably on the line and picking up JVR+McClement were steps forward. That leaves...huh? Carolina? A much better team compared to what they were after the season. Maybe Florida comes crashing back down to earth. Maybe. Tampa has a goalie now.
Meh, we can beat any of those teams based on three simple facts, Andrei Markov, Pk Subban and Carey Price. You add Galchenyuk to our PP and to Plekanec or Ellers wing instead of Darche, and you're telling me that's not a big improvement? We have a very good team, imo. One more first rate forward and you're talking a deep run into the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
God forbid he plays a similar game to the guy that is 4th in all-time scoring.

I didn't mean it as a slight to Ronny. I forgot how mobile he was as a younger player, that's all. There are some similarities there, but I still much rather the more common comparisons(Malkin, Hossa)