View Single Post
Old
12-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Ryker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
The US is dong just fine and anyone who takes a minute to look at the numbers will quickly see it. I agree that the US does not have a lot of the big name flashy forwards right now, but their depth is only exceeded by Canada. For example look at the top 50 scorers from the NHL last season. 25 were from Canada, 8 were American, 5 Swedes, 4 Russians, 3 Czechs and 2 Finns. Sure the Americans aren't as well represented in say the top 10 scorers right now, but a lot of that is just the chance of the cycle. Top to bottom the US are solidly number 2, by a fair margin.
To say their depth is only exceeded by Canada, I think, is stretching it too far. In my opinion, Russia has much better depth, you just need to expand your horizons past the NHL. Sweden and Finland could also match up very well with them in terms of depth, although here I'm not familiar enough to make a judgement call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
There is nothing inherent in human beings that says, you will have good hands at hockey, and you won't no matter what. It's a skill that is developed with hours and hours of practice. We simply don't give our kids enough practice hours in the right situation to develop puck skills as good as other countries. WE have great skaters and athletes playing hockey and one way to look at why is to see an older youth hockey game where 8 year olds are playing 5v5 full ice. Is that going to develop close puck control and creativity? Or are they just going to chase the fastest guy on the ice all game? Hopefully we are slowly learning from that.
Couldn't agree more with you. Everyone talks about how talented this and that player is, but they're making that call after the players have put in the requisite hours and it's only made based on the results of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
TI agree that people way over estimate the amount of talent on paper you need to win a best on best tournament. One thing that makes them so exciting is that by being so short there is a high degree of randomness in who wins. Over time the countries with better teams on paper will win more often but lesser teams always have a good shot too. I would also say that most hockey fans read way, way too much into single game or single tournament victories.
Hear, hear!

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote