View Single Post
Old
12-13-2012, 12:01 AM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
The AHL is absolutely "inferior" relative to the NHL and none of those players even come close to Galchenyuk in terms of talent and ability. It is uncommon for a top-3 pick to see time in the AHL unless that "b" word is lingering around.
The reason for that is the dumb rule that CHL players can't play in the AHL until they're 20. Galchenyuk is not even allowed to play in the NHL next year let alone this year. I was speaking from the hypothetical standpoint that he would be allowed if a miracle happened, at which point I think a lot of top-5 picks would see more AHL time.

What do you think Huberdeau and Strome are doing in the CHL this year? Simple, they're wasting time due to a silly rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Prime example of a guy who didn't have the confidence to bring his game to the NHL level. The NHL was too hard for him at first, and again, he's nowhere near the player Galchenyuk is.
I expect that 19 year-old Galchenyuk will not be a vastly superior to what 21 year-old Pacioretty was, and as such he'd benefit from comparable time in the AHL.

Also, Galchenyuk's confidence could grow from having a solid 40 games at the AHL level.

I'll also point it would help the other players in Hamilton. Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Gallagher, Holland, and next year perhaps Collberg and Kristo would all benefit from playing some games with Galchenyuk. Please think carefully before dismissing this point. I think there's benefit to having our future youth core spend time together.