View Single Post
Old
12-13-2012, 01:39 AM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I remember that very well. I think a lot of it had to do with Johnson elbowing a Canadian player rather viciously in the round robin game (was it Steve Downie?). He became public enemy #1 that tournament so it probably has more to do with that then cheering the Russians. We didn't like them either at that time anymore than the Americans. Remember in 2005 when the Russians rubbed their semi final win against the Americans? I remember vividly wanting to steamroll the Russians in the gold because of that, so it goes both ways for me. But I'll say one thing, no Canadian was cheering for the Russians in the 1980 Olympics. That says something right there, it was pretty unanimous at that time.

Also in 2002 after we beat Belarus to get to the Gold medal game I remember watching the USA/Russia game on TV. I honestly didn't care who we met in the final that year. I had enough contempt for both countries to satisfy my thirst.
I think in 1980 (and '72 for that matter) we were all a bit brainwashed. Now that we've moved on from wondering if the Russians really love their children it's more about sports. I'll say just from TV it looks like in the building the US is much less popular than the Russians. The Canadians were cheering Denmark and the Czechs vociferously last year, but in Russia's games they were relatively indifferent.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote