View Single Post
Old
12-13-2012, 03:33 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Do you consider O'Reilly a "very good third liner"? Because Gaunce is pretty comparable as far as what each did during his draft year. PPG on weak offensive teams, all situation players.

Of course it matters how offensive a team is, in general. The environment absolutely factors in. Subban has also played more games.

I'm a big fan of the Gaunce pick. Actually I brought up the upside vs. safe pick argument after the draft. For me, it came down to Aberg or Gaunce, and I think the Canucks went the right way. Reason: You have to build the base of the team first. The base is built with players like Gaunce, the two-way size players that open up room, play in all tough situations, and do the dirty work on the boards and in front of the net. The skill players play on top of this base. Without it, the skill players get boxed out or overpowered. There is no "push" in their play, and stuff dies on the perimeter. It's what we saw vs. teams like LA and BOS. As it so happens, these teams are built with strong bases of talent.

I think Gaunce's upside is as a 2nd line C, and his downside is 3rd line C. He will be an NHLer, which is more than you can say about a few of the picks picked in his area.
Why? I'm curious as why you think so. What have you seen from his play that indicates he has the ability to become a 2nd line C?

The only good thing about your O'Reilly comparison is that they played on low offensive teams. Gaunce and O'Reilly play nothing alike.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote