View Single Post
Old
12-13-2012, 04:01 AM
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!

vCash: 500
1st round 2013 OK
Valtteri Filppula For Kovalchuk? Yes
Goalie prospect not named Mrazek So that's Paterson or McCollum. NJ would want Paterson
Tomas Tatar? OK
Defensive prospect not named Ouellet or Sproul They would only be interested in Smith then
Drew Miller (I remember there was some talk about him for a defenceman earlier)Isn't he a FA after this season?

Kovalchuk takes Filppula's spot so no issue there. Especially if Brunner works out. You have Nyquist and Franzen as the other top 6 forwards. Tatar is a top prospect who would be in demand for a trade like this. But add Smith on top of that?

You have to see what you're losing. Top defensive prospect in Smith, 2nd/3rd best forward prospect in Tatar, Paterson who is impressing in Canada's WJC camp right now. Tatar could be a top 6 forward on most NHL teams right now and could be for Detroit in the future, Smith could play with Kronwall right now on the top pairing, Paterson could be our future starter. All that for 5-6 years of Kovalchuk in his prime (best case scenario) and then stuck with 5-6 years of Kovalchuk in decline with a $6.6 million cap hit.

It would be nice to have a 30-40 goalscorer but you are essentially losing 3 future NHL players if everything pans out.

Especially when Detroit are in a mini-rebuild mode and want to stack up on prospects. Now if we somehow get Dekeyser, another young goalie prospect with potential and continue drafting/developing solid prospects like Nyquist, Jarnkrok, Jurco etc. then losing Smith, Tatar and Paterson wouldn't be too bad.

I don't see NJ trading Kovy anyways, especially after losing Parise. People will say Henrique will soften that blow, but they are delusional.

Basically, I wouldn't rush to say yes.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote