Thread: Speculation: More Luongo Talk
View Single Post
Old
12-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
This is very obvious, i;m not sure how any Nucks fan can't see this. You do realize the age Lou was when he signed this contract? Cannucks fans were able to enjoy the best years of this lengthy contract and cap hit while Lou was in his prime. It is the length of the contract that made the cap hit so appealing when he was younger, the opposite holds true as he gets older. Whoever takes on Lou (if that even happens) is taking on all the risk, not withstanding the financial burden as well. All signs point to the cap being lowered, to expect a team to take that contract and cap hit off vancouvers hands, add a premium return, and not give any cap space back is beyond ludacris. Haven't heard or seem one person say they like the contract/cap hit/term other than Nucks fans. Funny how that works

This is very obvious, I'm not sure how any Leafs fans can't see this. You do realize Gillis knew Luongo would one day get older, and that he was prepared to have him as the #1 for the duration of his career. Prime years or otherwise, his ability is high end. They intended to enjoy his latter years, as they had his prime years. As an aside, the cap hit is still fantastic even as he ages because the inflation of a rising cap has done the same to goalie salaries. It is as appealing now as it was then. Interesting to note, the financial burden of such stars is felt by any team that has them or acquires them. If the cap gets lowered, it will be the standard 6m+ contracts that will impede teams far more than Luongo's 5.33m cap-hit would. Further, no team is doing VAN a favour as they don't consider the contract a salary dump, nor are they looking to create space, but rather are looking for a good return. That's all that matters. This is very reasonable from a thinking fan's perspective, and I'm not surprised Luongo doesn't win more popularity contests because of it. Funny how that works.