View Single Post
Old
12-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
To say their depth is only exceeded by Canada, I think, is stretching it too far. In my opinion, Russia has much better depth, you just need to expand your horizons past the NHL. Sweden and Finland could also match up very well with them in terms of depth, although here I'm not familiar enough to make a judgement call.

Couldn't agree more with you. Everyone talks about how talented this and that player is, but they're making that call after the players have put in the requisite hours and it's only made based on the results of that.

Hear, hear!
Russia has a better depth at what position? Forward? I don't disagree that Russia's top end forwards are superior (we don't have anyone close to a Malkin or Ovechkin) but depth-wise? Also, you're not familiar enough on Sweden and Finland to make a "judgement call", but that's exactly what you're doing! The reality is the U.S. has very good DEPTH at all positions, with the exception (IMO) at center. We also lack the truly high-end forwards that other countries have. I think that's a skill issue-and one that I think will be addressed by USA Hockey's changes to their approach and more kids playing in the CHL.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote