View Single Post
Old
12-13-2012, 10:55 AM
buddahsmoka1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
In my experience in the humanities electives I took it was a matter of walking to the office, knocking on the door, and asking to speak to them. Go during office hours or make an appointment, you don't want to bother them when they're doing something else.

And yes, it's a privilege to be able to discuss things with people who are leaders in their fields.
Obviously I go during office hours.

And no, it is not a 'privilege.' Holding office hours is a requirement of professors outlined in their job description.

I am both respectful and direct, I expect profs not to blow me off and make me feel like the size of a pea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
In the end Quebec universities and thus Quebec will suffer from not investing in the future.

In order to have an elite university, you need elite professors, and the salaries worldwide for elite professors are skyrocketing. If you want to compete with Harvard, Oxford, etc you need to offer six figures starting salaries. If you're offering 50K, then you're going to end also-rans. This leads to a vicious cycle as those individuals won't be successful when applying for research funding.
I am not talking about professor salaries, I agree their standards should remain high and competitive. I am more talking about the hundreds of MUNACA full-time workers that command wages of $30+ for doing fairly low-medium skilled jobs.

I am of the opinion that universities should offer more internship position for students within their own departments. One of the leading causes of unemployment after graduation is lack of experience. By cutting into their full-time work forces and replacing them with students, you can not only cut expenditures but also give your students valuable hands-on experience. The only students that get jobs at McGill that I have seen work in the low-rung services like the bookstore or service point.

Quote:
The same is true of graduate school: graduate students at McGill get about two thirds what graduate students get in the USA, even though Montreal has a very high cost of living.

Computers and office space can be very expensive. With respect to computers, a friend of mine went into an PhD in electrical engineering program at McGill, his adviser told him to buy his own computer -- I've never heard of an adviser anyone else saying that to his student. So he left his PhD program for that and other reasons. The office space is also really bad, the offices are really cramped. You can have 6 or 7 grad students in an office.
I have also never heard of a PhD student not having their own computer.

I don't really get these posts, this is 2012 (almost 2013), every single university student needs a laptop computer at the least. Universities need to provide a base of computer services, but expecting universities to subsidize such a costly and quickly outdated technology is asinine in this day and age. These costs can easily be offset by students and this exactly what is happening.

Quote:
The other issue is dilapidated infrastructure. I remember there was a physiology class that would meet at 7:30 AM, because Leacock 112 or whatever was the only room in the university that could host 600 listeners. There was also an incident a few years back when Muslim students couldn't get a prayer room because the space was needed for an archeology lab.

I also remember that the bathrooms were a nightmare because of two reasons:
- most undergraduates are savages and babies, who don't know how to or don't want to flush a toilet
- Not enough janitors were employed.

You don't find such dirty bathrooms in US universities. At McGill, if you needed to go to the bathroom, you had to be strategic. Like in Burnside building, I would just go to the 4th floor or the 5th floor; no undergrads went there and thus the bathrooms would be clean.
I am not going to argue that McGill's infrastructure is great, because it isn't. But it also comes with the territory of being one of the oldest universities in the country.

My gripe comes when McGill spends $6 million on 'beautifying' an outside walkway beside the library that takes 2 years to complete.

Or the fact that at 2 AM, every light in the office buildings hallways is still on for some asinine reason.

Better financial management is needed at McGill, it is as simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
You can play cute but that is passing the buck and cooking the books.

As for millions of wasted dollars on administration, you keep cutting that and see how our education stacks up internationally.
Your stubbornness is mildly amusing.