View Single Post
Old
12-13-2012, 11:55 AM
crazycanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
All I am saying is that if the Beauvilier's of the world are getting cut 90% of the time regardless of how they play, than dont call them.

There is no way you can say that Matt Dumba at this camp was better than Derrick Pouliot, but Dumba got the nod because of his past work. I am ok with that. My problem is that by having extra bodies around, it can have a psychological effect on the guys who are struggling (like a Dumba) and that can carry over into the actual tournament (see jared cown 2010)
If they can't handle the pressure of having to actually fight for their position, what makes you think they can handle the pressure of playing in the World Jrs? That's another plus about having a bigger camp, you see who steps up and who flounders under the pressure.

Is every player going to have the same opportunity to make the team? No, it's not realistic, it's human nature. If you are one of the bubble players in camp you need to do something to get noticed. Monahan, Beauvilier, Graovac, Pelech and Pouliot didn't play bad but they were bubble players and didn't do anything to make them stand out in a good way. And on the otherside, rightly or wrongly other players are going to have a longer leash, Dumba, and Murphy have not had good camps but because of their pedigree and history are given longer leashes.