Old
06-01-2006, 02:50 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
I don't agree. Draft picks are not worth more than a young proven player. The whole point of draft picks is to get lucky and end up with a young proven player.

I'd be reluctant to part with 4 1st rounders and 8 million for any player, but there's a lot of young RFAs that I would gladly trade a 1st and 3rd rounder for. Wouldn't you trade the 20th and 80th picks for a guy like Ruutu, for example, even with his injuries?

It's been said before, but what we'll probably see as a result of the Richards and McCabe and other superstar contracts is increased competition for lower end guys. If Havlat wants 5 million, but the Senators can't afford it and refuse to trade him, why wouldn't a team with cap space make an offer? The point of the RFA offer sheet system is to prevent teams from hoarding talent at the expense of a player's career and league parity. Even moreso under a league-wide cap.

If anything, the so called gentleman's agreement among GMs seems to be: pay your RFAs well and for long-term (like Nash and Richards previously). It just doesn't make sense to both "overpay" your RFAs, causing a ripple effect throughout the league, and then turn around and tell other GMs not to drive up the price of RFAs by making offer sheets.
Are they out to compete, or are they out to be gentlemen. They need to pull down their trousers, take a peek, and decide if they are men or not.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote