View Single Post
Old
12-13-2012, 12:25 PM
SkullSplitter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
When and if synthetic ice becomes more affordable the people of all regions will be able to relate to the sport more.

I was at the food court in the Pittsburgh Mills Mall, and they have a setup of synthetic ice like 20' x 16' and they told me that it cost $40,000 for that size and they custom cut each panel to interlock together. The Hockey n that in Aspinwall has a garage that's has some 12 x 16 surface cost them $7000.

They need to get this more available for public use if they want the sport to grow and let the public actually get accustom to the sport. To pay for ice time is what makes it so hard to get everyone in, but if local communities put them in their parks like Dek hockey is available things will progress much faster.
I think a greater focus on Dek hockey would definitely help grow the sport. It's the basic & cheapest way to play. To get started with football all you need is a ball. Then if the kid gets interested enough then you buy his padding, helmet, cleats, etc.

You look at Wayne's World where they call game on/game off because they're playing in the street. That's sort of a problem.

Although even with the entry level interest, hockey's the most expensive sport for a kid to play. I think that's probably the biggest reason why it's a niche sport.