View Single Post
Old
12-13-2012, 12:58 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Development. Gally missed that 2nd OHL year and needs to play a full one this year to catch up.
I don't get it? How much better can he do? He may already be the best player in the OHL.
Quote:
My biggest problem is I hate when a prospect who is doing well is suddenly called up to the NHL during the season and his development is disrupted. It nearly ****ed up Pacioretty in AHL rookie year of 2008-09, as an example. It took him 2 years to recover. And I fear for Leblanc and the idiotic way they yo-yo'd him last season. Gally's a better prospect than those two were/are, but there's a long list of top 10 picks who played at 18 in the league and have not become what was expected (Brule, L. Schenn, Bogosian, Filatov, Bailey, Gagner, Zherdev, Klesla, etc).
Bogosian is still a beast, but not one of these guys were the prospect that Galchenyuk is. It's not Bergevin's fault that players like Bailey were rushed or that players like Filatov busted, he's still got to do his due diligence. The list of guys that played at 18 years old and did well is a much nicer list btw.
Quote:
I just don't see the rush here. Let Galchenyuk continue on the development path he is on right now, play in the WJC, end the year with 100+ points in the OHL, hopefully win a playoff round if he stays in Sarnia and then end his season in Hamilton if they are still playing. You know, a whole bunch of things he hasn't experienced yet. Then next fall he comes into camp a more confident and accomplished player and should be ready.
Why wait until next fall if he is confident and ready now?
Quote:
But here's the thing how will they determine if he's ready or not though? We're looking at a 5-7 day camp. Everyone says there won't even be an exhibition game. There might be 2 scrimmages. They'd be making a decision based on 3 or 4 days of practice!
That's why they're paid the big bucks. They won't have a problem evaluating him practicing and scrimmaging against his peers.

Quote:
What if they give him the 9 game trial and puts up 4 points but isn't that effective overall? The media/fans will make this a major soap opera in the days leading up to the decision and there'll be tons of pressure on the organization to keep him up, especially if the alternative is the despised Rene Bourque in the top 6. It will be the Latendresse situation all over again basically.

I'd rather just avoid all of that.
It goes much deeper than simply "points", I'd hope. They'll be breaking down every shift at every practice on this kid. They won't mess around with our potential franchise player here. If they let media pressure affect their final decision(which they won't), then they need to be fired yesterday, seriously.

Quote:
Fair enough, I can't watch them like you can, but I do know the opinion that he's beaten up on a lot of the bad/average teams and hasn't been as good against the high end OHL teams is shared by several who have watched his games on this forum.
Well yeah, I'd disagree with that sentiment. Sarnia as a whole just plain sucks against good, structured teams because they play shinny hockey style with stretch and drop passes a la masse. They get picked apart by good forechecking teams. This is another reason why I'd want Gally out of there if he can handle it, I want him to learn a real NHL system.
Quote:
Obviously it wouldn't be just for the cap down the road. Above all this is about developing him the right way. However, there's also starting his UFA clock a year early if you keep him up. That matters.
I just don't think it matters as much as you make it seem.

Quote:
I would argue that Florida left Gudbranson and Huberdeau in junior months after they were drafted in part because of UFA/Cap/contract reasons, for one.
Maybe. Maybe they were on the fence and that had something to do with it. But, I'd bet it had a heck of a lot more to do with how NHL ready they were. Look no further than their very own Dmitri Kulikov, who played right away, for an example of a guy who had nothing left to learn in junior.

Quote:
And how many high profile prospects played all but 8 games the year before? This is a unique situation.
How many times has there been a lockout that allows a lottery pick the time to prove he is recovered from missing a year? He's top-3 in scoring in the OHL at 18, and could be higher, I think we can forget about the fact he didn't play last year.
Quote:
In basically half as many games and considering he's a rookie, how many do you think Galchenyuk could put up on the PP? I think 10 to 15. If he's on the PP, that means someone like Eller isn't. How many would Eller put up with that type of PP time? Probably at least 5-7 if he's playing with Plekanec and Gionta on the 2nd unit. The difference in production isn't big.
I don't want to argue predictions, but all I know is that he is probably our most talented forward already. Thrown him on a PP with Markov and Subban, and sky is the limit.