View Single Post
12-13-2012, 01:01 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
As i mentioned earlier in the thread, only 1 team from SM-Liiga and 4 teams from SEL. How the quality in SM-liiga nowdays?
I'm not too worried about the ET qualification, they are after all glorified practice games with low intensity and don't seem to be a good indicator on how a team starts the regular season. Tappara was the Finnish team that did the best in the ET qualification and they had a bad start in the regular season, competing for spots around 8-12, though they managed to turn it around and are now 6th. JYP on the other hand had bad results in the practice games but when the regular season started the 2012 champs switched to a higher gear and took a comfortable lead in the league, though others have since caught up.

The lack of intensity and speed can easily be seen by looking at individual player stats and Corey Locke of TPS Turku is a fine example. When the game is slow and teams don't play as much defense he has the time to play his own game and rack up points, but when the regular season started he has been struggling with speed and disciplined defense. There are multiple other examples like Tomas Plihal of Kärpät etc.

TBH I'd much rather have a system like the old IIHF European Champions Cup where the champions of the different leagues played a short tournament against each other in the winter, even if the Russians did dominate it. But I guess it failed for a reason.

Mara is offline   Reply With Quote