View Single Post
Old
12-13-2012, 05:42 PM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
In your opinion there has only been one competition of value since 2010. So, yes, we do win the most often.
You're exactly right.

This also invalidates any other result until 2014, at which point the #1 ranking is up for grabs.

This is why I've always said that Canada is #1, due to being the Olympic champion.

The issue I have is with Canadians stating that, if the Russians win in 2014, it doesn't automatically make them #1.

Either it does make them #1, because the Olympics is the decider, or it doesn't, because they haven't won consistently enough.

BUT, if they haven't won consistently enough, that criteria should probably invalidate our current status as #1.

In other words, either you believe the Olympics is the be-all and end-all, and Canada is #1, or it isn't, in which case Canada isn't, given our lack of success in other tournaments in the last 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver
Do you think that Canada does not have the same depth in the senior ranks as it does in any given WJC? I would say Canada has the same depth in the restricted, junior ranks as the open, senior ranks. The proof is that Canada has won at both levels (disregarding the WHC's) at roughly the same % over the past 30 years.
Just because we have won at both levels doesn't mean that the competitions are equivalent IMO.

Using Canada as the only example to show that the tournaments are equivalent isn't enough.

You'd have to look at how the other countries fare in both competitions. If the positioning is the same, then maybe you'd have a point.

I have the feeling that smaller countries are under-represented at the Junior ranks relative to the Senior ranks in terms of their relative success.

And again, "best" to me isn't about depth, it's about fielding the highest quality hockey team.

Last edited by NyQuil: 12-13-2012 at 06:00 PM.