View Single Post
Old
12-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Holden: at this point, I'd have to agree with your assessement of KHL vs AHL - the IceCaps can't buy a goal, and have hands of stone at this point. My ONLY worry: east-west vs north-south, and his potential fit into what the Jets want out of him when he'd return. I still think it might be worth the gamble, but I hightly doubt that they'd allow it, if for no other reason than they owe the IceCaps and the fans a player of his calibre, given that he's avaible.
Agreed with different style argument.

What I don't agree with is that the Jets "owe" the IceCaps absolutely anything. The IceCaps exist for one reason only. That is to develop players for the Jets. Doesn't matter how much it might help the IceCaps, if it's in the best interests of the Jets, then that's what you do. Winning and losing means absolutely nothing for the IceCaps, so long as they are developing our players right. Sometimes that means adding a veteran or two to ensure competitiveness and for leadership, sometimes it means turning away top end players to allow them to develop better somewhere else or to allow more icetime for prospects for the Jets in the AHL. It was the same with Manitoba Moose when they were Canucks farm team. They are not intentionally trying to screw IceCaps obviously, but the primary job is to develop players, and if it's better an important asset to play elsewhere, then he plays elsewhere. End of story, IMO.