View Single Post
Old
12-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Not every player is the same. Many players have success from stepping in immediately. Jumping straight into the NHL didn't set Doughty back, Bogosian was drafted right after him. I dislike this mentality that Scheifele NEEDED to have 2 years in OHL + 1 year in AHL. If a player has proven he belongs at the NHL level, he deserves to be there. Sending back a ready player can be just as bad a set back as keeping a player up too early. There is no formula for proper development.
True, but what Jets management is showing me is they won't give a player a spot - based on his draft position. That establishes a culture of competition to earn a spot, and only the best players (or ready - if they are a prospect) will be with the NHL club. That it is good hockey atmosphere that should get results.

Now, you are completely right that the drafts so far have provided little in terms of NHL impact at the moment. But that's fine, imo. With better, more proven players, with the NHL club, prospects have to continue to work hard to make the next level. Some will develop, others won't, but they will have to earn it. I like that.

It's better than Kane and Burmi making the team and contributing very little their first year (and 2nd).

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote