View Single Post
Old
12-13-2012, 09:35 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
Thomas has won a cup and I doubt Bruins would re-sign Thomas now that they have Rask and Subban. In fact, Thomas might like the politics in Toronto a little more. Which may be why he would want to come here. Getzlaf may sign since Carlyle is head coach. He had Carlyle as a head coach before and Burke as the GM (won a cup too).

You're acting like Luongo is our only option. No, Luongo won't be our saviour. We're going to end up wasting good pieces for a goaltender that is slowly turning to #2 for Canucks. Getting Luongo will NOT make a difference on whether or not we sign a huge centre...

Honestly, I would not give much just to sign Luongo. No prospects and no picks for him. I'd rather overpay Thomas a little than let that happen (couldn't be as bad as overpaying Komisarek).
Why in blue hell would a 40 year old star netminder sign with the only team in the NHL that hasn't played a playoff game since the last lockout? There is a better chance Ben Scrivens wins the Vezina next season than Thomas signs with the Leafs.

Luongo absolutely could make the difference between signing or failing to sign an impact player in free agency. If the Leafs sputter again and miss the playoffs on the back of poor goaltending it's just highly unlikely a coveted free agent is going to choose Toronto over every other club in the league.

How many stars has Burke lured from free agency to sign with the Leafs during his tenure in Toronto?