Thread: Prospect Info: Morgan Rielly discussion thread.
View Single Post
Old
12-13-2012, 11:01 PM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
As Leaf fans we should know that keeping him on this team only raises expectations. What does that mean? It means more heat from the media, it means questioning if he's ready, if he's good enough. Is he playing enough, should they send him back? All questions that can be avoided with simple patience. Let him dominate the WJHC, let him go back to junior, let him either make the playoffs or be traded to a contender and just build him up. He'd be in such a better mind frame going into next year than being forced into this situation where we'd be looking at him as a possible scapegoat. Which would be totally totally unfair for him. And don't give me any slack cause each and every one of you knows it would happen.

Whether he's ready or not for the team doesn't matter. It's whether he's ready to be the main focus. And being an 18 year old kid, if you want to kill one of your prospects you keep him on the big club and watch him getting eatten alive by the idiots in this town. He'll be ready in a year or two, but he's not there yet.
I'm not advocating that we keep Rielly under any circumstances, but I really take exception to the notion that the Leafs kill all these great prospects because we somehow "raise expectations" for them.

Off the top of my head, out of guys like Tlusty, Pogge, Stralman, Hedin, Pilar, Colaiacovo, Steen, Antropov, Stajan, Wellwood, Harrison, Hanson, Gustavsson, Bell, Tellqvist, Svoboda, Kronwall, Mitchell, Earl, Stalberg, who grew up in our organization who received playing time under less than ideal circumstances and didn't become front line players, I'd say none of them ever really failed because they were thrown to the fire or had expectations somehow ruin them.

These guys were just never going to be superstars because of who they were, not because the Leafs ruined them.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote