View Single Post
Old
12-14-2012, 12:49 AM
Reiher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
How did you miss the point again even after I bold and underlined it?!?!?!? I clearly stated that there are people who choose to go to university who work as hard as guys who choose to try and get into professional sports. I said the type of work is different but how hard they work is the same.

All I am saying is that other people who go to university work as hard as hockey players and if they fail in their chosen profession they are in the same boat as any hockey player is in if he fails at his chosen profession. As such, the "risks" associated with becoming a hockey player are not that special and not equivalent to the financial risk an NHL owner takes when running and paying for an NHL team. Surely to goodness you can start to understand the point I have been making over and over and over by now???

This wasn't supposed to be about me, but I actually trained 2 hours every day throughout the 7 years I did university full time while working 1-3 part time jobs. By the way, I do not do "Karate", I do Kung Fu (there is a huge difference). I averaged 4 hours of sleep per night throughout that time with the occasional (once every 2nd or 3rd week, depending) Saturday crash of 7-9 hours of sleep. Believe me, I have been working hard since I was 15 years old. I know all about sacrifice and hard work. I am actually quite proud of the hard work I have done, and continue to do, throughout my life.

Hockey players work tremendously to try and make the NHL. So do many other people on this planet. Please, please tell me you get the point THIS TIME!
While I agree with you that for every profession and professional sport it requires a lot of hard work. However quantifying the meaning of hard work is not going to be something that can be truly understood mutually from person to person since hard work is only really defined by your personal experiences. While a comprehension of the required steps to get to a certain level can be mutually agreed upon the perspective of how much hard work is required to achieve a certain level will be dependent on the person you're talking to.

What I think is being confused in all this though is that regardless of the fact that it takes a lot of hard work to get to the NHL level or professional sports level or professional academic career level, I want to say that the perception of it requiring more work to achieve the level of being an NHLer or other professional sport is by virtue of the very small amount of available "jobs" in that field. So even though to become an engineer, doctor, actor or whatever requires maybe the same if not more work to achieve, the relative abundance of available positions in those fields in comparison to those available for hockey is immensely larger. So of course that means that if you do land a job in that industry (hockey) it is handsomely paid due to the rarity of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Are you telling me it isnt true, that they dont have to sacrifice school when playing 70+ games in the Q while riding the bus countless hours per months in a season that goes from September to April (and maybe more with PO and Mem. Cup) ?

I suggest you re-read what you type before submitting your posts. You're proud of your hard work and all but when it comes to hockey players who both play and go to school, you act as if it's something common, as if everybody was doing something similar...

Doing what MANY can do is not an accomplishment.
However, this argument I think has a lot of merit in the belief that if a young kid chooses to try and make it as an NHL player they forego school by virtue of the fact that hockey takes up a whole bunch of time. This does NOT exclude the players that do BOTH and succeed at BOTH, but I think more often than not the person chooses success in one or the other. I don't think it is unfair to say that if the hockey career fails that the now student is set back maybe up to 5 years, again depending on how far along he's gone. However I also don't think that excludes that student from being successful in whatever field he may want to go in, but it probably leaves that kid in a bit of a funk for some time.

I mean imagine the circumstance, imagine you've made a conscious decision to try and pursue playing in the NHL and then realizing you are not able to go where you want to go. I can only imagine that it takes some time to come to grips with that realization, and then it probably takes some more time to figure out what it is you're going to do next. This does not mean that it is a scenario for failure, but I think that catch up is often required.

This is just my 2 cents. The real thing I'm saying here is that hard work and training and doing school at the same time is not impossible, but I think that at some point there is a choice to be made. When that choice is made, the priorities shift to achieving the choose goal which much more often than not means neglecting one or the other, maybe not entirely but enough that if the goal you aimed for fails the other one will require some catch up. I also want to maybe try and bring to light a perspective on a potential false perspective of greater work required to do one profession over another.