View Single Post
Old
12-14-2012, 12:40 AM
Faute

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Advanced math courses are nothing like what you're doing now. If you like grinding through step after step of algebra, you'll miss that. They're extremely abstract. Read the wiki page on topology and as many related/linked articles as possible. You'll quickly get an idea of what I mean by abstract.

If you want something more practical but still math-centric, try electrical engineering.
I'm an electrical engineering graduate student. The reason I went into the program was because I liked applied maths and physics. Turns out, there wasn't a lot of either in the undergraduate program. Some of my classmates graduated without really knowing how to solve analytically very, very basic partial derivative equations. On the other hand, I have to admit that my undergraduate school is known to be very applied. I pretty much had to go into graduate school to get my fix of maths, which I did by taking classes outside my department (namely, numerical computation classes from the computer science department). Even then, I look like an oddity in my research group because I'm taking these classes by my own choice...

I think an applied mathematics degree could be interesting for OP, if he doesn't mind a lot of programming. There's a lot of interest in competent numerical "computationists" in many fields (finance, engineering, physics, and so on). Obviously, I don't think applied mathematics undergraduate degrees are too common.

Faute is offline   Reply With Quote