Old
12-14-2012, 02:32 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
Or any engineering really^
Not true. Civil engineering hardly requires any advanced math and I'm sure there are other disciplines with even less. Electrical and Computer are definitely the most mathematically intense engineering programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faute View Post
I'm an electrical engineering graduate student. The reason I went into the program was because I liked applied maths and physics. Turns out, there wasn't a lot of either in the undergraduate program. Some of my classmates graduated without really knowing how to solve analytically very, very basic partial derivative equations. On the other hand, I have to admit that my undergraduate school is known to be very applied. I pretty much had to go into graduate school to get my fix of maths, which I did by taking classes outside my department (namely, numerical computation classes from the computer science department). Even then, I look like an oddity in my research group because I'm taking these classes by my own choice...

I think an applied mathematics degree could be interesting for OP, if he doesn't mind a lot of programming. There's a lot of interest in competent numerical "computationists" in many fields (finance, engineering, physics, and so on). Obviously, I don't think applied mathematics undergraduate degrees are too common.
I guess it depends on the school since my undergrad in EE required 6 math classes, plus Signal Processing (x2), Control Systems (x2), Communications (x2), Filter Design, and Electromagnetics, the majority of which were basically math classes. So really it depends on the kind of math he likes. If he wants to solve a ton of integrals by hand, that was my undergrad EE in a nutshell. I didn't see anything like topology until the graduate level and even then not enough of it that it could be a motivating factor.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote