View Single Post
Old
12-14-2012, 02:15 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
This is one case where playing for a 5-man unit didn't give Makarov an advantage. The Green Unit had only been together a few months before the 1981 Canada Cup, while Bossy had played with Trottier and Potvin for years. The All-Star forwards for that tournament were Sergei Shepelev (LW), Gilbert Perreault (C), Mike Bossy (RW).

1984 was probably the only Canada Cup where Bossy and Makarov were both in their primes. Note that Bossy scored 9 points in 8 games, while Makarov scored 7 points in 6 games. The All-Star forwards for that tournament were John Tonelli (LW), Wayne Gretzky (C), Sergei Makarov (RW).

I think Bossy was a better goal scorer than Makarov, but Makarov was a better passer.
I truly wish we could have found out. Makarov is the one player that I love who isn't in the HHOF that I wish hadn't been shut out of the NHL by the Soviets. Instead of speculating and guessing we would know this by now how he'd have done in 80 game seasons over the 1980s year in and year out. I personally don't think he fares any worse than Kurri. But then again, speculation............

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote