View Single Post
Old
12-14-2012, 05:17 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
Completely agreed. It's a real shame how much misinformation there is out there in regards to mental health. People may blame themselves based on this misinformation, the whole idea like you said, to walk it off.

I also think it's quite unfortunate that mental health resources aren't used to their full potential, perhaps due to some feelings of taboo still surrounding it. Anyone with any problem, or those who suspecting that something is wrong, go and seek attention. It's easier for someone suffering from something like Schizophrenia to get said attention. But so many people live with the likes of anxiety and depression, but don't get the recommended help. There is literally no shame in doing so. Like you said, you wouldn't feel shameful if you went to a doctor for cancer, would you?

The resources are out there, use them, if for anyone, do it yourself.
Unfortunately, we have been raised with a culture of how our behavior is about our attitude and if we just tried harder and had a better one, we'd be functioning like everyone else. The plain truth of the matter is as many as 1 in 5 people has a mental illness/health disorder. Unlike the other 80%, the people that are actually sick cannot "just get over it. In all fairness, it's very hard to understand if you haven't had it. This is why I respect Daniel Alfredsson so much. Anyone can get behind physical diseases like cancer, but most people would be frightened to be associated with the stigma of mental illness. Did you notice how many other NHLers rushed to join him? Nobody or almost nobody?

At any rate, there's another dark side of mental illness...medication. While many people need it, I was prescribed Paxil after a whole 15 minutes of speaking to a doctor I'd never met before. I was told it was safe "Except for the 6-8 initial weeks you may feel worse, oh and occasionally people become suicidal". I decided against it. Instead I quit my job which required interacting with hundreds of people a day. A student loan and a 5 month course later, and I had a different job which required me mostly to interact with seniors and only a handful. While my panic/anxiety has never completely left, I am 1000 times better and med free.Did I mention that Paxil is no longer sold for various reasons, including that whole "It'll make you worst first" thing, oh yeah and it can cause serious birth defects in your child should you be a woman and have one. At the time I nearly took it, I was only 28, in the the prime of my childbearing years. I am now closer to the twilight heading down the backend of my 30's , and due to my avoidance of most social situations, probably won't have one. But it's nice to know that if I do, major organ defects aren't more of a risk.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote