View Single Post
Old
12-14-2012, 06:33 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post
I wonder why that is. Maybe Krefeld didn't release him? The kid has played 17 games this season in the DEL. Same with Kevin Orendorz who has played 16 games for Krefeld in the DEL.

But who knows maybe there is some reasoning from the coaches perspective that makes perfect sense (e.g. chemistry, etc.), but just based on their accomplishments I am a little disappointed with this preliminary roster. I wonder who will be the final cuts.
I still have to think that Orendorz and Klöpper are or have been in the running.

Still, despite the number of DEL games they've suited up for this season, I've gotta think that the program - since the staff has relatively few on-ice sessions for the U20 team and its many candidates to really get to know the kids and who'd fit in best - do tend to place value on what type of ice time the boys are getting and what their roles are, regardless of the league.

That is, it shouldn't be surprising if a kid who gets top line minutes and regular PP time in the Oberliga, much less the 2nd Bundesliga, is taken ahead of a kid like Orendorz or Klöpper who might get 3-8 shifts a game at the DEL level and are not getting special team minutes, also missing out on valuable lower league ice time in the process. Also, as much as the DNL has improved in recent years, we shouldn't assume that 17 or 18 year olds who are currently scoring big there will have much less of a shot over others who are a tick older and playing regularly in pro ranks.

But we'll find out for sure soon enough.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote