View Single Post
Old
12-14-2012, 08:49 AM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I don't think it's wrong to have hype either. It's natural to be hopeful for a prospects chances, and watching a player closely in junior absolutely gives you a better perspective on them but I think it's worth noting every now and then that the real evaluation lies in the end results. I think we all realize this anyway, but sometimes we need to be reminded to balance out the hope with a little objective reality.
Exactly where I was going. I don't mean to be critical of anyone's specific post (as this is a fun discussion), but when we call Aittokallio - who has never touched NHL ice - a fantastic 5th round pick, what are our criteria?

Bieksa, Ryan Miller, Mikael Samuelsson, Jamie Benn - those guys I would describe as "fantastic" 5th round picks. Based wholly on their NHL pedigrees.

Perhaps here's a line of thought: Is it reasonable to describe draft success based up how many years after the draft we're looking at a player? In other words, looking at Aittokallio two years after his draft at age 20, we can say that this was a good pick? But if his ceiling is the AHL 6 years from now, perhaps we change that to a poor pick?