View Single Post
Old
12-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Scurr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Gotcha, so +/- has returned as the defensive standard? Interesting to note that they finished +23 and +14 respectively in a year where their defense was often questioned... Wonder why?
+/- is not the standard, it's a stat that can be used in context to judge defensive ability. I'm sure you can see the difference between the twins being +13 in a season where they score a ton on a great team with great goaltending and a season when they score modestly on a poor team with average goaltending.

Quote:
Really? You never heard Tony G go on about how they got rushed and that they should have increased their strength before coming over? He's said more than once.
Nope.

Quote:
Sure it is. But does that mean that they were NHL average defensively? No.
No, it doesn't give a definitive answer. Neither does your recollection of events.

Quote:
I think you would be hard pressed to have fans outside of the VAN fanbase agree that the Sedins were ever even above average defensively, let alone average when they started out.
Why would I ask fans of other teams about the ability of players who I've watched their whole career?

Quote:
Just to be clear: Their ability to keep the puck in the offensive zone and cycle isn't considered defensive prowess is it?
No, of course not.