hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo17 View Post
The Man With the Iron Fists (2012)

Strangely enough this is a film where its greatest strength and greatest weakness are both it's direction. RZA has a vision; this is a relentless, bloody, exploitative film that takes no prisoners. All these aspects are things I really appreciated about the movie and are what makes worth watching... if it is worth watching at all. I say that because at the same time RZA's obvious lack of experience brings this movie down. The editing of action sequences isn't great and I think that is mostly due to the poor shot coverage they did, the story is far too convoluted for such a simple tale, and while it does embrace its own ridiculousness, Iron Fists is heavily inspired by anime which does not always work in live action. Given how much this movie borrows from much better films, I can't help but think it should had just been a loose remake of something like "Yojimbo" or a Leone western, in the same vein of the exceptionally fun Korean film "The Good, the Bad, and the Weird" adapted the source material. Then we could have focused on the type of film RZA wanted to make rather than what actual content there was.

There are some redeeming factors to this movie and I think it is better than many of the other "western" Asian action films that have come and gone in the past few years but it still isn't as technically sound or fun enough to make it notable.
Wow, that's a pretty forgiving review of a movie that definitely doesn't deserve it