View Single Post
Old
12-14-2012, 02:32 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I understand what you're saying but in the case of Svatos, he was 24 and not between 18-21 when he started.
He started at 23, and was finished with the Avs at 27. So this really only shaves a couple of years off your example. I would put forth that in that time, he regressed in every single aspect of the game.

Quote:
For Wolski, I had extremely high hopes for this guy, I thought he was finally putting it all together when he was traded and it's been all downhill since then. Extremely talented - poor drive/motivation/work ethic.
Right. He looked great offensively, lousy defensively, and had poor work ethic. Between the age of 19 and 26, what got better? Nothing.

Quote:
For Stastny, I actually believe that he can be that player again and more. We'll see.
But he's 26 now also. So between 20 and 26, what part(s) of his game markedly improved? Not his scoring, not his ability to set up others, not his defense (he came into the NHL defensively capable). Perhaps faceoffs? In any case, he's been either steadily doing the same thing, or he's tailed off a bit. But he hasn't gotten markedly better.

Quote:
But again, I guess I wasn't really clear. The guys that I'm SPECIFICALLY talking about here are our CORE, specifically: Johnson, Varlamov, Duchene, O'Reilly, Landeskog and Stastny.
That's fine, but the statement you made that I am questioning, is where you said "after watching 30 years of hockey, I tell you our young 21 year old guys will get better"(sic). In my opinion, this is really as much faith as it is historically supportable. Or at least there's a lot of faith in there.