View Single Post
Old
12-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Proto

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
They've won the PR war for the most part but they really haven't gotten anything of substance out of the owners...they've lost, but its a matter of mitigating the long term losses....but a loss was expected from the outset, it was just a matter of how much they were going to be able to get back in contracting rights in exchange for their monetary loss.
I agree, and I think that was pretty much inevitable from the outset. But what they've tried to do (mostly successfully) is ensure that the transition doesn't actually involve players losing money -- aside from the obvious loss of salary from losing half a season.

The thing that's irked me from day 1 is that the league could have probably had the deal they're going to end up with by November 1st if they'd wanted to. The hard-line position they've taken hasn't seemed to earn them much of anything that the PA weren't willing to give at the start of the year (in my opinion, anyway). The league is basically throwing away revenue and risking future growth on a fool's errand. Is Bettman just trying to out-do his old pal David Stern from last year?

Last edited by Proto: 12-14-2012 at 05:32 PM.