View Single Post
Old
12-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Bennett Brauer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
Just sit back and watch the ****-storm. It's hilarious, keep going.

Pouliot got beat out by a player selected in the top-10 last year, 2 top-5 picks from this year, 2 shutdown D that were 2nd round picks last year, the 12th pick from last year's draft, and another D that was a 2nd round pick last year. He lost to either people who were better than him or that were older than him. I'm actually very happy with his production this year. He looks like he could get more points than Morrow did last year. And I'm happy Morrow broke his slump last night.

Dave Molinari posted an article about the Staal trade, and he had this quote at the bottom:

"A portion of the Penguins' fan base has protested the way Shero has stockpiled defensemen in recent years, but there's always a market for those and it won't be a shock if Shero proves that shortly after, or even before, play in the NHL resumes, whenever that is."

Exactly. Puck moving D will ALWAYS be in demand. How many players like Pouliot are in the league? Not that many. We can find wingers relatively easily. Crosby will continue to score, even if he has Adams on his line instead of Ovechkin.
Exactly, that's what I was saying, but nobody can be told that because some people act like they know more than the organization and when someone says these PMD's have value, people sarcastically say "Oh don't worry, Shero will just trade ____ for a top 6 winger".

Fact is, he's done it with Goligoski and Ryan Whitney, why not with any other guy in the prospect pool. Now obviously this value isn't there yet and they have to play in the NHL first, but there is a market for them.

Teams are paying big prices for PMDs (Matt Carle getting $5.5M, Martin getting $5M, etc.) Shero is smart for drafting these defensemen, because he doesn't draft by team need, he acquires assets at the draft, and with him stocking up on D men, not only is he building his team's future blue line, but he has assets that can be traded for solid players in the future.

Bennett Brauer is offline   Reply With Quote