View Single Post
Old
12-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Zandar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Because outside of Svatos due to injuries, those other guys were or are clear cut NHLers. I don't consider guys like Larsen or Willsie NHL regulars, because they have trouble finding NHL teams when they're UFA's, and bounce between the AHL and NHL all the time. Radivojevic had a good run but couldn't carve out a niche either and is playing in the KHL.

I consider a draft pick a good success if they stick in the NHL, or played a decent sized role over a medium amount of time like Niemo, who could probably still play in the NHL.
I'm not sure how you can use Nieminen as an example and leave out some of the others. Granted you are using a lot of opinion in the matter which unfortunately results in selective comparison. Nieminen was one of my favorite Avs and Bears players but he bounced around 6 NHL teams after winning the cup his rookie season. Do you think he would have that many opportunities if he was not on the team when they won? Guys like Willsie, Radi, etc put up similar scoring as Nieminen & Richardson. Then you have Larsen who put in the time on the Avs 4th line for years until moving to Atlanta and ending up getting more ice time.

Plain and simple the Avs are good at finding quality bottom 6 players with their later picks...or better yet NHL role players. That is a lot more than most teams. Just because they never solidified themselves as a scoring line forward or a premiere checking line player doesn't mean they weren't NHL level players. Kind of like the concern with the lockout and which players are really being hurt or overlooked.