View Single Post
Old
12-15-2012, 02:42 PM
toob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
i stand corrected. i always thought gallant was a big power forward, but now that i look it up, he was only 5'10", 190 lbs.

i guess my very early memories, as well as the way he played so much bigger than he was, seems to be playing tricks on my recollection. (now that i look it up, i always thought kevin dineen was a lot bigger than he was too; if you'd asked me five minutes ago, i would told you dineen was at least 6'1", 210 lbs.)

what THN article on paul maclean are you talking about? do you have a link or a quote? couldn't find it upthread.

in three years (with WPG, DET, then STL, at ages 29-31), he scored 40, 36, and 34 goals. for the era, not superstar stuff. but on paper he doesn't look washed up when yzerman had him.
Yeah for Gallant like i said all ive read about this guy seems to indicate he was scrappy as hell before his injury. And while one of Yzerman's problems in the early 90s is both his wingers were always changing in the late 80s at least he had a consistent guy in Gallant.

For Maclean here was the THN article, sorry the print is so small.

The relevant part reads near the top "By season's end, Yzerman was a butterfly without wings. On the right, Paul Maclean went in the tank for the final 35 games. On the left, Gerard Gallant accomplished little in the final 20. With even a little help from his flanks, Yzerman would have finished even closer to Gretzky and Lemieux in the scoring race."

This statement seems to check out in Maclean's stats:
October 11 7 3 10
November 13 5 11 16
December 14 11 10 21
January 12 6 2 8
February 13 2 6 8
March 12 5 3 8
April 1 0 0 0

Those last 4 months (38 games i didnt bother to check the actual 35 figure) show a pretty steep decline It doesnt seem based on the St Louis stats you pointed out that Maclean was washed up so maybe he was just on a cold streak.

But Maclean was certainly an improvement over the various wings that Yzerman had in the following year. At least Kocur had by far his best year statistically due to Maclean's absence.

toob is offline   Reply With Quote