View Single Post
Old
12-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
IMO there is no diagnosing this psychopaths...They operate and function normally, all while plotting these heinous acts... This is something far out of the realm of "mental illness" IMO...
I couldn't disagree more, and would reiterate that I think you're looking at mental illness from a much too narrow scope.

Just because someone's behavior doesn't fit into a predefined box or diagnosis, doesn't mean that they aren't mentally ill. If someone had physical symptoms that had never been seen before and we couldn't name their disease, would we say that they aren't sick, or try to figure out what's wrong and diagnose them appropriately in hopes they could be saved?

By the very definition of what you describe above..."function normally, all while plotting these heinous acts"...that is the epitome of a mentally ill person, IMO. How sick do you have to be to be able to go to the grocery store to pick up a gallon of milk, smile at a child that you may pass, all while plotting to shoot up a school after you're done with your coffee?

Mental illness isn't just autism, which unfortunately is ALL it seems that the news is focusing on right now. It's also schizophrenia. It's also personality disorder. It's also bipolar disorder. All diseases that could 100% lead a person to what happened yesterday.

I know we want to point at this guy as an animal, and he is one. it feels weird to include him in a group of people who, for the most part, wouldn't hurt a fly. Absolutely. But he was SICK. There was something wrong with him. That's mental illness.