View Single Post
Old
12-15-2012, 04:01 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
Man I hate Craig Button so much... Rielly was #4 on his top prospect list over Yakupov, Hamilton, Huberdeau, etc.

If Rielly's really that great, why was he the 5th overall pick in the draft? If he's a better prospect than Yakupov, why didn't Edmonton take him, when Rielly even plays a position of need for Edmonton? I guarantee he'd be much lower if he wasn't drafted by the Leafs.
This post seems silly to me.

Had Rielly played his entire draft season, he very well could have challenged for that top spot. However, having only played 18 regular season games before his knee injury, very few scouts even got the opportunity to see him. Fortunately, the Leafs' brass did, and liked what they saw.

Your draft position does not define you as a player. Rielly was drafted 5th overall in JUNE. Between then and the publication of this list, he's played the Canada/Russia challenge, the Subway Series, the WJHC camp, and 30+ regular season games. That's a ton of games in which he can prove himself to be better than the players taken above him. Hell, Reinhart was taken 4th overall and didn't even make the top 30 list - where's the outrage there?

You seem to have taken issue with Rielly mainly being placed above Yakupov. It's definitely a debatable stance Button has taken, but what's not debatable is that the instances where these two have been on the ice at the same (the Can/Rus challenge and the Subway Series), Rielly has been flat out the better player. If you're asked to rank these 2 players, what better circumstances to use then when the two play against each other?

Moral of the story is it's ridiculous to think Rielly can't be a better player than Yakupov because he was taken a few spots after him in the draft 6 months ago, after only playing 18 games in his draft year. In reality, it's ridiculous to think ANY player can't be better than another based on their draft position. If that's your main argument, you don't have a leg to stand on unfortunately

Anyway, back on topic. I've got an interview with Admirals play-by-play guy Pete Michaud on the way. He'll be answering questions about guys like Etem, Vatanen, Palmieri, Holland etc and how he seems them progressing.

Should be ready to go in the next couple days. I'll post it here.

Last edited by maplehawk: 12-15-2012 at 04:07 PM.