Thread: OT: NHL vs. NHLPA
View Single Post
Old
12-15-2012, 04:52 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Yes they do, the draft is decades old the players aren't giving it up, and again if there was no draft then there are half as many teams at most and the major of players are looking for jobs so the draft helps the owners as much as it helps the players both side gain something from it.
I'm sure Yakupov would much prefer a 10 million dollar contract with a team he wants to play for right out of the gate. The draft is a restriction on the labour market, and the players are the labour. So how is it helpful for both sides?

Quote:
I don't get the no tv deal they just signed a huge deal with NBC?
The NBC deal is a joke. Between TSN, Sportsnet and CBC, I can probably watch 75% of games for all Canadian teams. NBC is suppose to cover the remaining 23 teams? Teams like the Hurricanes aren't being broadcasted like it should.

Quote:
Player salary is over half of the cost of running a team if they control that by not paying players 10+ million then it will go along way to fixing the finical problems in the league.
So what? HRR is a net calculation. Moreover, Health care salaries can take up to 50% of costs [1]. This makes sense because good health care is essentially good/many doctors and nurses. What makes up good hockey?

[1] http://www.shrm.org/Research/Article...ngExpense.aspx

Quote:
The players aren't holding the league together but like an union and their employer they are working together to ensure that everyone in the company can make a profit including the owners who you seem to feel should be losing money because they are rich.
Working together? The league already said the players aren't partners, they're cattle. The players put in an offer an it's rejected in 10 minutes. Cooperation involves respect.

And I never said they should be losing money. When Toronto rakes in a billion dollars while Pheonix is in the hole for 25 million, they league has the business model of reducing salaries by 25 million for each team. Nevermind asking billion dollar teams to share that revenue, it's more "cooperative" to ask the players to solve the problem. It's a stupid model and insulting to the players and fans.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote