Thread: Prospect Info: Official Penguins Prospects Thread
View Single Post
Old
12-15-2012, 06:03 PM
pens 1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
In my opinion, the Pens need to play a defensive system. It's easier to make Sid play defense than Martin play offense. Run a system like what the Lightning have, capitalize on turnovers and work from there. The 1-3-1 is probably the best system in the league. Imagine what it could do on a good team.
Once teams figured out the 1-3-1 it was easy to shut down. Teams started forechecking at the opposing blueline making the advantage of a quick breakout pass unavailable. Thats a big reason why they didn't make the playoffs last year. The 1-3-1 is more of a one trick pony; only useful against an aggressive two man forecheck. Trust me, the 1-3-1 is dead. Refs will start calling delay of game penalties on the d-man who sits back and waits for the forecheck to come. Three of the last six cups have been won by aggressive forecheck systems that wear down the defensive core of the opposing team in a 7 game series (pens, hawks, kings). It also scares the d-men and causes mistakes.
What the pens need is a shutdown tandem. The likes of which haven't been seen since scud and gill. Heres hoping for a combination of strait, bortuzzo, despres, dumoulin, or harrington will fill that number 3 & 4 spot (I include despres eventhough I think he will be paired with tanger, because he is so solid in the d zone. Has anyone noticed WBS has not won since his injury?). Guys that can log big, safe minutes. Would have made all the difference against philly last year.