View Single Post
Old
12-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Grigs, FP or DP being successful NHL players are not mutually exclusive to each other.
Of course not. I hope nobody got that impression from my post.

Quote:
There is a reason FP and Grigs fell out of the top ten. If they were the can't miss, game breaking talent many on here want to sell us on, there is no way they would of slipped as far as they did.
I don't recall saying anything about either of them being "can't miss". Very, very few prospects outside of the lotto are 100% wart-free.

Quote:
Grigs is a dynamic talent, but the fact is he gets lazy and seems uninterested, and the biggest red flag is he tends to disappear when teams get physical with him.
How many big, talented centers have we seen this written about? Probably all of them at one time or another, from Beliveau to Lecavalier to Lemieux to Malkin.

As for wilting when the going gets tough, the same was said about Couturier (another big center) going into the 2011 draft because of his uninspired playoffs. We've since seen differently.

The bottom line is that you're never going to draft a huge center with gamebreaking talent and a relentless bulldog mentality at #8 overall. Elite 18 year old talent at that spot is going to have a chink or two in the armour, so you have to determine whether those teenaged blemishes are too much of a risk. The Pens did. We'll see if they were right.

Quote:
With FP, there was a fear he might not have a high offensive ceiling.
One man's "safe" is another man's "well-rounded". Similar claims were leveled at Toews and Landeskog.

Quote:
I could see maybe *****ing in five or six years if these two are tearing up the league and DP isn't doing well.

For now, I think people need to realize there are reasons why the Pens were not the only ones to pass these two over.
That would really be from hindsight though, wouldn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
You nor the other people here whining how DP is a bad pick, would ever have the stones to say that to his face or Shero. That's why people like msg boards - so they can say stupid **** without repercussions.
C'mon Jig. I don't think most here have access to Penguins upper-management, and even if they did, it's not really reasonable to expect somebody to go up to a person they don't know well and start criticizing them, let alone if they're part of an organization they support.

I dunno. Maybe you're different and would waltz up to Bylsma out of the blue and tell him it was idiotic to call up Chris Conner in the 2011 playoffs. It's not the sort of thing I'd have the inclination to do.

Quote:
And for the last time Bmacs list is not representative of internal lists. Org don't spent millions of dollars and thousands of scouting hours to release that info to the public.
I absolutely believe that McKenzie's list was a cross-section of scouts' honest opinions - I don't know why we should believe otherwise from the most reliable source in the business. Of course, there's no shortage of dissension among scouts even at their own draft tables.

Last edited by Warm Cookies: 12-15-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Warm Cookies is online now   Reply With Quote