Thread: GDT: Bingo @ WBS
View Single Post
12-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Minister of Offence
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Wham City View Post
Maybe. Course Wiercioch was putting up massive numbers at 18 in college, which is more what I was getting at.

But I see your point, he hasn't been in an environment to dominate for awhile now, and 0.5 points per game in his draft+1 year is actually in line with most first rounders coming out of the SEL.

I can't say I'm really disappointed with his AHL start either, he's one of the youngest players in the league and is getting his shots.

I just question where the points are going to come from in the end. Not writing him off, but I need to see him do it for a sustained period first.
I think Weircioch's numbers at 18 were probably a bit blown up somehow. Not to say he didn't deserve to rise up in terms of prospect status, I just think that he could go back and play college now and still not be certain to match those numbers. Perhaps that's going a little far, but just making a point.

I can only imagine had Mika been there at 18 he'd be scoring quite a bit. I think a lot of the disappointment is that most true star prospects do come out and would blow the doors off the AHL at 19 to a degree. And whenever you draft in the top 10, generally speaking, the fan base hopes they have a star on their hands. We may not have a true star on our hands but I still think we could have a bottom end 1st liner. But I still think the upside is pretty high...if he fills out and starts leaning on people, he could be a really really high end power forward with skill. I think he does some things too well not to be a scorer.

The second half is that critical marker for rookies that can be pretty telling. That doesn't just go for Mika, you may see the likes of Stone, Prince, Pageau, etc take marked turns for the better after Christmas.

Some people say he's gonna be this good, or gonna be that bad. No one knows. You start talking like you have a crystal ball and you just leave yourself up to looking stupid because neither side knows. I'd say the people suggesting he won't be a top 6 player are playing the underdog though.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote