View Single Post
12-15-2012, 09:37 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by toob View Post
First of all i would caution against going all Dr Recchi is it confirmed that Gretzky actually had a concussion?

Originally Posted by Associated Press, April 28, 1987
Gretzky lost his helmet in the collision with Hawerchuk. He was helped to the dressing room and didn't return to the game. A spokesman said that the All-Star center had suffered a mild concussion.

Gretzky said Hawerchuk deliberately tried to hurt him. ''I was really surprised,'' said the Edmonton captain, who had an egg-sized lump on the left side of his head.

With all due respect, toob, this is a famous play in hockey history. It's bad enough I have to argue that a concussion had an impact on a player's performance in the five games that followed - I shouldn't have to prove to you that it happened.

You see, that's the thing about physical play that Messier's detractors seem to not understand when they try to sum up his play with offensive statistics. It's like the difference between giving a man a fish and teaching a man how to fish: Taking away the puck stops the play, but taking a man's block off stops his series.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote