View Single Post
Old
06-02-2006, 11:35 AM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
great post Smokey.....I also feel that Poile will feel utterly compelled to resign him, mainly because of how much we have invested in that move, instead of admitting a poor decision and changing course.
I truly feel his penalty taking will continue to haunt us, as long as he will play for us, and he will be unable to change.....I hope I am wrong here.
That being said, having met him, I think he brings some intangibles to the locker room that he doesn't get enough credit for.
I think that Poile will feel compelled to resign him, and I think it's going to turn out to be a classic business/gambling mistake. Like you said, sometimes it's best to cut bait and move on. Like a businessman who has dumped millions into a project that has turned south, he's going to throw a few more million at it to see if he can't recover it or the gambler who's lost a bunch of money and wants to put it all on the line for a chance to make it all back. Those situations rarely turn out good, and I hope he signs Witt because he feels like he can contribute in a 2nd pairing/leadership role and not because he made a mistake at the trade deadline.

That first rounder is long gone. Resigning Witt won't bring it back or make its loss less painful. Spend the money in a direction that will help the team irrespective of past mistakes.

And I do agree that he brings a lot of intangibles but so do a lot of other veteran Dmen. Because of that, I don't get too caught up with it. We need leadership, but there are so many different players that can bring that to the table and don't have the faults of Witt.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote