View Single Post
Old
12-15-2012, 11:02 PM
RabbinsDuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySheppard View Post
You have backed your point up with numerous references to what opinion columnists had to say at the time. Fair enough and non inflamatory, well stated.

I, however don't agree. Bowman at the time was worshiped by the media. His words were gold by Farber and co. It wasn't until the nepotism crap in Chicago that the media was allowed to question this hockey god. Farber's article is almost disturbing in the fact that Lewis and Bowman get all the credit for a 4 game sweep over the Flyers. Fedorov, Vernon and co..won a 20 game war, winning 16 to hoist the cup. ST.Louis and Colorado were not pushovers to say the least.

You do link an article that states Lidstrom was up against Lindros 60% of the time at even strength. Who was out the other 40% or most of it?

How about PK time? The Flyers had 19 pp's. Just because Lidstrom had 62 shifts vs. Lindros does not mean him and Vlad were never on the same shift. Because they were believe it or not.

I'm not going to search it out, but if you want to look up the pk ice times in the finals of Lidstrom, Murphy and Konstantinov I would be all ears.
Yeah, it's really not black and white. Konstantinov was very effective against Lindros. He played against Lindros in regular season games and limited his scoring while even more effectively, annoying the heck out of Lindros and getting him in the box a lot - I remember once actually looking up the stats, and Konstantinov looks great against Lindros there, in addition to my recollection.

Now this is just my opinion, but I think Bowman recognized playing Lindros physically was reactionary coaching, and chose to focus on the Wings' strengths more than reacting to the Flyer's strengths. Lidstrom proved to be even more effective against the Legion of Doom than Konstantinov was, largely because he controlled the ice better and fit the puck possession style of play better... Neutralizing Lindros not physically, but by simply keeping the puck away from him. It was Lidstrom's coming out party - he showed the world how great he really was defensively, despite not playing physically, and still was able to dictate the play on the ice.

Konstantinov was great against Lindros, just Lidstrom proved to be even better, something Bowman seemed to have identified.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote