Thread: Justin Schultz
View Single Post
Old
12-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Chips*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
True, but junior-to-NHL is a looooong development path whereas AHL to NHL is a smaller jump. I tend to hate D prospects and also throw players in the bust bin earlier than most - when prospects stall in development that's a massive red flag. PPG in AHL at 20 is my line in sand for impact NHL forward. For D-men, I want to see +/- and points improve every season in the AHL and if they aren't NHL pros by 22/23 I'm not very high on them.
Ridiculously arbitrary. Last year, there were only seven players that hit a 1.0 PPG with more than 60 games under their belt. 12 if you include those within 5 points of a 1.0 PPG in the AHL AND having played 48+games (arbitrary number, sure, but anything lower is subjectively not a very strong sample size). This was even before the league had been saturated with an influx of talent due to the lockout. Only one player of those 12, Nyquist, was 22 or younger at that time.

I suppose every team that had 20+ year olds as prospects in the AHL last year failed to develop anything significant. Other than Detroit I guess.

Chips* is offline   Reply With Quote