View Single Post
Old
12-16-2012, 02:38 AM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
It's a requirement but it's also a privilege.

Either there very few professors that blew us off. I remember those, but for the most part it was an easy avenue for dynamic discussion at a high level.
Has not been my experience, nor most of my colleagues.

Quote:
That's not as much money as it sounds. A thousand employees (you said hundreds) making 30 bucks an hour full-time costs ~60 million a year, and these are probably jobs that need doing that nobody would be willing/able to do for free anyway.
Administrative expenses constitute nearly 20% of McGill's operating budget.

It doesn't have to be for free, you can pay a student half the wage of a full-time union worker.

Quote:
Universities should pay for computer costs for their employees. That includes both the computer and the computer services that go with it; i.e. system administrators on site to provide tech support.
Why should universities buy thousands of computers, when everyone who needs them has access to their own computer anyways?

Quote:
People may already have personal computers but the needs of a work computer are often different.
You can now get lap top computers for around $1000 that can handle anything you need for work.

Quote:
I mean really -- do you expect people to pay for their own business travel too?
Hyperbolic analogy for $500 Alex.

Quote:
I've known people from dozens of schools and have never heard of anybody not from McGill being told to buy their own computer. I was horrified when I heard my friend's story. What's even worse is that the salaries at McGill for graduate students are microscopic. I think it's like $17,000 -- that is ridiculous for a city with an extremely high cost of living. In light of what it is in cheaper US cities, it should be ~$30,000 in Montreal -- with computer costs already paid for.
Average graduate student salary is just over $23,000. Within a couple of thousand for the national Canadian average.

Montreal does not have an extremely high cost of living, not sure what on earth you are talking about. Montreal is the cheapest major city to live in Canada, and is lower than major cities in the US. Comparatively speaking, for a city it's size, Montreal is one of the cheapest cities to live in in the developed world.

Quote:
One of Greater Montréal’s assets is unquestionably its affordable cost of living. Whether for accommodation, food, clothing, medical care or raising a family, costs in Montréal are far less than in other major cities.

The Québec health system is based on the principle of universality, thus ensuring free basic medical care to every resident in the province.

Public education is also free of charge from kindergarten to college, in both French and English. Greater Montréal also has four first-class universities where tuition fees are among the lowest in North America.

The metropolitan area also benefits from daycare fees that are among the lowest in North America.

Montréal is one of the large cities in the world that offers the most affordable prices according to Prices and Earnings: A Comparison of Purchasing Power Around the Globe, a study conducted by the Union des Banques Suisses (2008).

Compared with other major cities in North America and Europe, Montréal is one of the few metropolitan areas in the world where the cost of housing remains affordable. Housing prices in many American cities are double those in Montréal.
The metropolis ranks 1st in Canada for its low housing prices and apartment rentals (CMHC, 2008).
http://www.montrealinternational.com/live-cost-living/