View Single Post
Old
12-16-2012, 09:19 AM
alkurtz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The variance and the term lengths should be tied in negotiations. If the NHL can get a 5% variance, why the **** would they still be insisting on 5 year term lengths?

The "hill we die on" quote was the stupidest thing uttered in 3+ months of almost non-stop stupidity on both sides.
For once we agree on something. The quote, whether said in the heat of the moment or premeditated, has made it more difficult to reach a deal.

I am completely conflicted in how I feel at this point. On one hand I support the players 100%, blame this fiasco entirely on the owners, and think that the union needs to stay united and fight to the end for their rights and beliefs.

On the other hand, I think that the deal offered by the NHL is not all the bad (considering the concessions already made by the PA), that a 10 year CBA is essential for restoring stability to a sport that if this goes on longer, may be on its death bed, and that for the good of the game, the players should accept it.

I think that it has proven true that every deal that is trumpeted as an owner victory always, in the end, comes out just the opposite. It was the owners and GMs (true with player agents) subverted the salary cap established after 04-05. Management is always their own worst enemy and always need to be bailed out by the players. I think players can continue to count on owner stupidity.

So......perhaps (again I'm torn) the PA needs to accept the leagues last offer and move on.